Selecting the Right Vehicle for Your Transportation Needs
As a Medicaid Participant you can choose any medical transportation provider that is enrolled with the State of Illinois. However according to Illinois Administrative Code, Section 140.491 A, for payment to be made, the transportation service must be to the nearest available medical provider, by the least expensive mode that is adequate to meet the individual’s need. When public transportation is available and is a practical form of transportation, payment will not be made for a more expensive mode of transportation.
What you must do:
- If this is your first time using the service, please call First Transit, at 877-725-0569, and they will determine the most adequate mode of transportation for your needs.
- You must choose your transportation provider from the list given to you by First Transit. If none of the transportation providers given to you can take you to your appointment, you can call First Transit back or search the list below to find a provider that can transport you.
- After you have arranged for transportation with the provider of your choosing, call back First Transit so the trip can be approved.
Modes of Transportation
There are several types of vehicles registered to provide medical transportation:
- Private Auto – Privately owned passenger vehicle (your own car or a friend’s)
- Public Transportation – Buses, train, Metra, CTA
- Paratransit – PACE Buses
- Service Car/Taxi – Passenger vehicle for patients who can be transported safely in a regular car
- Medicar – Transportation for patients whose medical condition requires the use of a hydraulic lift or ramp, wheelchair lockdowns, or a stretcher.
To search for a provider:
- Enter the zip code or city where you live followed by the mode of transportation determined for you by First Transit.
- For example, if you live in Springfield, IL (62702) and were approved to use a Service Car enter the following:
- Zip: 62702
- Select from the “Modes of transportation” dropdown the category you have been approved to use by First Transit
- The list will show you the providers available in your area.
- If there are none in your selected area, enter a neighboring city or zip code along with the mode of transport you were approved to use.
- If you cannot find an appropriate transportation provider, please call First Transit at 877-725-0569 and we will help you find a transportation provider if available.